The Toyota RAV4 is one of the most popular compact SUVs on the market, and for good reasons. It offers a spacious and comfortable interior, a smooth and efficient powertrain, and a range of features and options to suit different needs and preferences. Whether you are looking for a family-friendly vehicle, a capable off-roader, or a stylish cruiser, the 2024 Toyota RAV4 has something for you.
What's New for 2024?
The 2024 Toyota RAV4 does not have any major changes from the previous model year, but it does have some minor updates that make it even more appealing. Here are some of the new features and enhancements for the new Toyota RAV4:
- A new exterior color option: Lunar Rock. This is a grayish-green hue that adds some flair to the RAV4’s appearance. It is available on all trim levels except the base LE.
- A standard power-adjustable driver’s seat with lumbar support on the XLE trim level. This feature was previously optional on the XLE and standard on higher trims. It allows you to customize your seating position and comfort level.
- A standard heated steering wheel on the Limited trim level. This feature was previously optional on the Limited and standard on the TRD Off-Road trim. It provides extra warmth and comfort on cold days.
- A standard wireless smartphone charging pad on the Adventure and TRD Off-Road trims. This feature was previously optional on these trims and standard on the Limited trim. It allows you to keep your phone battery topped up without using a cable.
- A slight increase in price across all trim levels. The base LE trim starts at $28,450, which is $900 more than the previous model year. The XLE trim starts at $30,450, which is $800 more than before. The XLE Premium trim starts at $33,650, which is $700 more than before. The Adventure trim starts at $35,750, which is $600 more than before. The TRD Off-Road trim starts at $37,750, which is $500 more than before. The Limited trim starts at $38,650, which is $400 more than before.
What Are the Trim Levels and Features?
The 2024 Toyota RAV4 is offered in six trim levels: LE, XLE, XLE Premium, Adventure, TRD Off-Road, and Limited. All come with a 203-horsepower four-cylinder engine paired with an eight-speed automatic transmission. You can choose between front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive, except for the Adventure and TRD Off-Road trims, which come with standard all-wheel drive.
Here are some of the key features and differences among the trim levels:
- LE: The base trim level comes with 17-inch steel wheels, LED headlights, roof rails, a rearview camera, a 7-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto compatibility, a six-speaker sound system, Toyota Safety Sense 2.5 (a suite of advanced driver assistance features), and cloth upholstery.
- XLE: The next trim level adds 17-inch alloy wheels, fog lights, heated mirrors, blind-spot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert, keyless entry and ignition, dual-zone automatic climate control, a power-adjustable driver’s seat with lumbar support, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, and five USB ports.
- XLE Premium: The mid-level trim level adds 19-inch alloy wheels, a power liftgate, a sunroof, SofTex synthetic leather upholstery, and a few other cosmetic enhancements.
- Adventure: The off-road-oriented trim level adds 18-inch alloy wheels with all-terrain tires, raised suspension, hill descent control, an 8-inch touchscreen, a wireless smartphone charging pad, an upgraded rearview camera with dynamic guidelines, orange interior accents, and unique exterior styling elements.
- TRD Off-Road: The most rugged trim level adds further off-road enhancements, such as TRD-tuned suspension, skid plates, LED fog lights, a TRD roof rack, a TRD shift knob, and TRD floor mats.
- Limited: The top-of-the-line trim level adds luxury features such as chrome exterior trim, a heated steering wheel, heated and ventilated front seats, a digital rearview mirror, a 360-degree camera system, a 9-speaker JBL sound system, dynamic navigation, and driver’s seat memory functions.
How Does the RAV4 Perform and Handle?
The 2024 Toyota RAV4 delivers a smooth and responsive driving experience thanks to its refined engine and transmission. The four-cylinder engine provides adequate power for most situations, and the eight-speed automatic transmission shifts smoothly and quickly. The RAV4 can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in about 9 seconds, which is slightly below average for the class, but not a deal-breaker.
The RAV4 also handles well, with precise steering and stable cornering. The ride quality is comfortable and composed, absorbing most road imperfections with ease. The RAV4 is also relatively quiet, with minimal wind and road noise entering the cabin. The RAV4 offers three driving modes: Eco, Normal, and Sport, which adjust the throttle response and transmission behavior to suit your preferences.
If you want more performance and efficiency, you can opt for the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid or the Toyota RAV4 Prime models, which use a gas-electric powertrain. The RAV4 Hybrid produces 219 horsepower and can achieve up to 40 mpg combined, while the RAV4 Prime produces 302 horsepower and can travel up to 42 miles on electric power alone.
If you want more off-road capability, you can opt for the Adventure or the TRD Off-Road models, which come with standard all-wheel drive and various enhancements to tackle rough terrain. The all-wheel-drive system can distribute torque between the front and rear wheels as needed and also features a rear driveline disconnect feature that can improve fuel economy when all-wheel drive is not needed. The Adventure and TRD Off-Road models also have a Multi-Terrain Select system that allows you to choose from four modes: Mud & Sand, Rock & Dirt, Snow, and Normal, which adjust the traction control and throttle response to suit different surfaces.
How Spacious and Comfortable Is the RAV4?
The 2024 Toyota RAV4 offers a spacious and comfortable cabin for up to five passengers. The front seats are supportive and well-bolstered, with plenty of headroom and legroom. The driver’s seat is power-adjustable on all but the base trim level and heated and ventilated on the Limited trim level. The rear seats are also roomy and reclining, with ample space for adults or children. The rear doors open wide, making it easy to access the back seat or install child seats.
The RAV4 also offers a generous amount of cargo space, with 37.6 cubic feet behind the rear seats and 69.8 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down. That’s more than most rivals in the class. The cargo area is also versatile, with a low-load floor, a height-adjustable cargo cover, tie-down hooks, and an available power liftgate. Some models also have a sliding cargo deck that can support up to 440 pounds of weight.
The RAV4’s interior is also well-designed and user-friendly, with high-quality materials and intuitive controls. The dashboard features a large touchscreen that is easy to reach and operate, with crisp graphics and quick responses. The touchscreen also supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, which allow you to access your smartphone’s apps and features on the screen. The RAV4 also has a digital instrument cluster that displays important information such as speed, fuel level, trip computer, safety alerts, and more.
How Safe and Reliable Is the RAV4?
The 2024 Toyota RAV4 is one of the safest vehicles in its class, thanks to its strong structure and advanced safety features. The RAV4 earned a five-star overall rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), as well as a Top Safety Pick+ award from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
The RAV4 comes standard with Toyota Safety Sense 2.5, which is a suite of driver assistance features that can help prevent or mitigate collisions. These features include:
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection: This feature can warn you of a possible frontal collision with another vehicle or a pedestrian and apply automatic emergency braking if necessary.
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist: This feature can alert you if you are drifting out of your lane unintentionally and gently steer you back into your lane if needed.
- Lane Tracing Assist: This feature can help you stay centered in your lane when using adaptive cruise control on highways.
- Road Sign Assist: This feature can recognize certain road signs such as speed limit, stop, yield, and do not enter and display them on the instrument cluster for your convenience.
- Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control: This feature can maintain a set speed and following distance from the vehicle ahead of you and adjust accordingly if the traffic changes. It can also bring the vehicle to a complete stop and resume driving when the way is clear.
- Automatic High Beams: This feature can automatically switch between high and low beams depending on the surrounding light conditions and traffic.
In addition to these features, the RAV4 also offers optional safety features such as blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, front and rear parking sensors, a 360-degree camera system, and a digital rearview mirror that can switch to a camera view for better visibility.
The new Toyota RAV4 is also expected to be very reliable, as Toyota is known for its high-quality vehicles and excellent customer service. The RAV4 comes with a three-year/36,000-mile basic warranty, a five-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty, and a two-year/unlimited-mileage roadside assistance program. Some models also come with a complimentary scheduled maintenance plan for two years or 25,000 miles.
How Does the RAV4 Compare to Its Competitors?
The new Toyota RAV4 faces stiff competition from other compact SUVs in the market, such as the Honda CR-V, the Mazda CX-5, the Hyundai Tucson, and the Ford Escape. Here are some of the pros and cons of each vehicle compared to the RAV4:
- Honda CR-V: The CR-V is one of the best-selling vehicles in its class and for good reasons. It offers a spacious and versatile interior, a smooth and efficient hybrid powertrain option, and a long list of standard and available features. However, it lacks some of the off-road capability and styling flair of the RAV4.
- Mazda CX-5: The CX-5 is one of the most fun-to-drive vehicles in its class, with agile handling and a powerful turbocharged engine option. It also has a premium and stylish interior with upscale materials and features. However, it has less cargo space and fuel economy than the RAV4.
- Hyundai Tucson: The Tucson is one of the most affordable vehicles in its class, with a low starting price and a generous warranty. It also has a sleek and modern design, with a spacious and well-equipped interior. However, it has less power and performance than the RAV4.
- Ford Escape: The Escape is one of the most versatile vehicles in its class, with four powertrain options to choose from, including a hybrid and a plug-in hybrid. It also has sporty and nimble handling, with a comfortable ride quality. However, it has less interior space and quality than the RAV4.
Is the 2024 Toyota RAV4 Right for You?
The 2024 Toyota RAV4 is one of the best compact SUVs on the market, offering a great combination of style, performance, comfort, safety, reliability, and value. It has something for everyone, whether you are looking for a family-friendly vehicle, a capable off-roader, or a stylish cruiser. The new Toyota RAV4 is a vehicle that can handle any adventure you throw at it.
If you are interested in learning more about the 2024 Toyota RAV4 or taking it for a test drive, visit your nearest Toyota dealer today. You won’t regret it!
The Toyota RAV4 is one of the most popular SUVs in the market, thanks to its spacious cabin, versatile cargo area, smooth ride, and efficient hybrid powertrain. But what if you want more power, more range, and more fun from your RAV4? Enter… Continue reading
Called RAV4 Prime in the United States, this plug-in hybrid model is much more muscular than the simple hybrid version. Toyota presents the Toyota RAV4 Prime at the Los Angeles Auto Show. Without being exhaustive, the brand has given some… Continue reading
The Toyota Prius has long been the poster child for hybrid cars but was never known for being exciting or stylish. That changed with the 2023 model year, when the Prius and its plug-in hybrid variant, the Prius Prime, underwent a radical… Continue reading
The Opel Mokka-e electric compact SUV is powered by a 100 kW / 136 hp electric engine, the maximum torque is 260 Newton meters. The battery has a capacity of 50 kWh. The standard range in the "normal" driving mode is 322 kilometres… Continue reading